Tuesday 19 May 2015

Praline ice cream or vanilla ice cream with praline :) I couldn't decide...


 Hazelnut praline leftovers were calling me to my kitchen all night. So when I woke up, I went straight to scavenge the fridge. I was very pleased to find some cream and eggs because I already knew that praline ice cream is what I wanted.

PRALINE ICE CREAM
375ml whole milk
500ml at least 30% butterfat cream (I use 36%)
5 egg yolks
100g caster sugar
1 vanilla pod seeds
at least half a cup of praline


Food Standard Agency advices to make an ice cream based on cooked eggs. Especially when you serving people at high risk for foodborne infections: infants or pregnant women.
Although I like sorbets and yoghurt based ice cream, the cooked ones are my favourite.

Combine the milk and 300ml cream in a saucepan, add half a sugar, vanilla seeds and bring it to over 83C. In a separate bowl whisk the egg yolks with the remaining sugar until you will achieve a pale colour.
Pour it into the cream and mix it. Keep heating it up, the mixture will thicken a little. Watch carefully to not to boil it as the cream will separate and your ice cream will be ruined.
Take it of the heat and add remaining cream to stop the cooking process. Let it cool and refrigerate it ideally over night or at least for few hours.
Pour the mixture into ice cream maker. After it is done and before moving it to a container of your choice, add praline.
I love the taste and texture and the look of the praline. That is why I added quite a lot. But be careful, it will add to the sugar which is already in the ice cream. If you don't want to end up with very sweet taste add less praline or reduce the sugar in the first step.

Keep it in the freezer for few hours. Now you can ask : Ice cream anyone?




No comments:

Post a Comment